Friday, August 9, 2013

What My Registry SHOULD'VE Looked Like...

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Hindsight is twenty-twenty. If I could do it all over again...here's what my registry would look like.

Clothing
  • 0-3 Size Gowns: Unfortunately, I only discovered gowns after the boys were too old for them. In those first couple months when changes are happening in the sleep-deprived wee hours of the morning, having the simplicity of a gown would've been a godsend.
  • Footed Pants: Socks on newborns is a joke. If you're gonna have a newborn in the winter, do yourself a favor and put the pants and socks together in the form of footed pants.
  • Newborn footed sleep n plays: Because they were born at 37 weeks and were around 6lbs when they came home, they were in newborn clothes for at least a month, maybe two. Also, the footed sleep n plays were what they basically lived in for the first couple months.
  • Knit hats: Our boys have 100th percentile heads, literally, so the only hats that fit are ones that are loosely knit and therefore stretchy.
  • For more thoughts on clothes in the first few months, check out my post on the awesome and the useless here.

Bedding/Sleep
  • 2 Rock n Play Sleepers: Read my commentary on their first 30 nights in the RnPs here.
  • 2 Cribs: We went with the Stokke Sleepi cribs which we got on sale. For twins, we liked them because they fit better in a small space do to their oval shape. I realize that they're kinda pricey though, and you have to buy special bedding for them.
  • 2 Mattresses
  • 4-6 SwaddleMe Wraps in 7lb-14lb size: We had 5 and got by just fine. I'd just make sure you have at least two for each baby you have. We had to go out and buy the larger size eventually, but I wouldn't put those on a registry just in case your baby doesn't like these swaddles. We started using sleep sacks around 4-5 months, but I wouldn't have registered for that since we just didn't know what would work.
  • 4 crib sheets (2 for each crib)
  • 2 Mattress Pads

Feeding

Travel
  • Double Snap n Go Stroller: Loved it. Read my review here.
  • 2 Car Seats: We went with the Graco Snugride 30, but I don't think there's a real right and wrong here. I will say that there's no need to get one that accomodates over 30lbs because your kid will be out of their infant seat LONG before then.
  • 2 extra bases: We have two cars, so not having extra bases would've been disastrous. Thankfully, my mother-in-law bought them event though they weren't on my original registry.
  • Car seat covers: These were great to brave the Chicago winter. Not terribly necessary if you don't live in the frigid north, however. A blanket always seemed to suffice unless it was under 35 or 40 degrees.
  • 4 Car Mirrors: We have mirrors in my car but not in my husband's. I hate it. It's nice to be able to look back in the rearview mirror and see the boys. Not being able to see them is both awkward and nerve-wracking, especially on a longer car trip.
  • Diaper Bag: We have the Fischer Price one and we like it. I don't think it really matters so long as it's big and has a changing pad.
  • Munchkin Cooler Bag: Bought this later on but it's necessary with twins. The small one they gave us for free at the hospital just doesn't cut it with two babies.
  • Bigger Stroller: I really like our city mini double.
  • 1 or 2 Baby Carriers: We have a Twin Trexx carrier which can either split into two or be a double one. Honestly, we've only used the double function twice. We like it anyway, but it might've been cheaper to just go with one or two singleton carriers. Also, we only used ours early on and around the house, so I would have gone cheaper here.

Diapering
  • Tubes of Vaseline: If you're having boys and going to circumcise, you need this the second you come home. Don't get the tub either. Trying to scoop it out is a total mess. You will need tons of tubes. Like TONS.
  • Gauze Pads: If you circumcise, every time you change the diaper you have to have new gauze for the first week or two...so do the math and that's about 150 pads per baby. Yikes.
  • Changing Pad
  • 2 Changing Pad Covers: We started out with only one and laundry became a lot easier once we had two.
  • 3 boxes of seventh gen newborn diapers: The last thing you want to do in the first few weeks is run to the store.
  • One of each type of cloth diapers: We bought a bunch of cloth diapers, and we've yet to transition. We've tried a couple of times and they just keep leaking. Unfortunately, I feel like they may just end up being resold although I hope not. Looking back, I wish we'd waited to buy a bunch of them until we knew how they would work on our boys and in our situation.
  • Diaper genie: We just use a regular garbage can, but yeah...It kinda smells.

Gear
  • Larger Swing (two if you have the room): We have both a smaller travel swing and a larger swing. The larger swing is vastly superior although it does take up more room. My husband used to use the smaller swing during the days while I was at work, but I hardly ever used it. That being said, I know some babies are not big swing fans, so I think it would make sense to try one out and buy a second of whichever works for you. Also, I would say we get along fine with only one if your space is constricted like ours.
  • Standing bouncer/jumperoo (two if you have the room): Our boys loved to stand, even early on, which I know is not true of every baby. They've been in their standing bouncer since 2.5 months and absolutely love it. I often wished we had two so they could stare at each other while also practicing their standing.
  • Bouncy seat: Their bouncy seat makes a great place to play (kicking the danglers and activating the sound on their own) and sleep. The vibration element is sort of useless past 3 months, but was more valuable earlier on.
  • Piano Play Mat: Basically any activity gym will do, but this one has been a huge hit with a number of moms that I know. A big one might be nice that would accommodate two babies at the same time. We didn't register for one at first and that was stupid. They really like kicking the little piano, looking at their reflection, and grabbing at the dangling toys. It can often keep them entertained for 30-60 minutes. 
  • Pack n Play vibrating box: Our friend's loaned us theirs, but this hooks on to the corner of the pack n play and gives it a little bit more of a comforting feel by making it vibrate. This was useful in the first couple months.
  • 2 Pack n Plays: Having one set up in our dining room gave us a safe place to put the boys while we got bottles ready in the first few months before they could sit up. Looking back, I might've purchased one with a changing table so I didn't have to do stairs very early on when I was still recovering.
  • Walk Around: I love this thing like nobody's business. It takes up a lot of room, but it entertains them so so much. Also, unlike a traditional walker, they're able to practice walking without being in danger of running into furniture or falling down the stairs.
  • Summer Infant Seat: This was used for a very narrow window of time, but it was useful because there was a point where they desperately wanted to sit up but couldn't do it safely by themselves. I would avoid the Bumbo, only because our chunkers had thighs that wouldn't fit in the Bumbo.

Etc
  • Big board books: We have LOTS of books, but I would recommend getting board books, and board books that are over 6" wide. It makes it easier to read to them when you're also holding them at the same time. Also, it makes it easier for them to focus on the pictures when they're nice and big. Some of our favorite big books are Duck & Goose, Thank You Bear, and Windows to Color.
  • Infant Bathtub: You only need one because you're probably not going to bathe both babies simultaneously. We used the infant sling for the first two or three months, so I would definitely get one that comes with an infant sling. I think most do.
  • Receiving Blankets: These end up having multiple uses--wrapping baby, cleaning up spit up, burp clothes, covering the changing table early on when they pee on you at like every change.
  • Camera: We recently bought one and I wish we'd had it earlier. Our phone pics just don't have the high quality that I want baby pictures to have and they can't hold enough video.
  • Extra Soothie Pacis: We got a few from the hospital, but it helps to have at least five per baby placed in convenient locations around the house.
  • Wet/Dry Laundry Bag: We absolutely LOVE our laundry bag. It can hang on the door and it is easy to carry down to the washer and drier. We also have a smaller version for the diaper bag.
  • 4 Hooded Towels
  • Big pack of wash cloths: Great for their intended purpose, but also for covering boys up while they're being changed so you don't get an impromptu shower.
  • Purell: For guests, but also for your hands before and after changes and feedings.
  • Baby Detergent
  • California Baby Shampoo and Body Wash

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen! My name is Heather and I wanted to know if you would be willing to answer a quick question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people seem to think that when you're a mum you have to look dowdy and not show off your bump, but flaunting the happy news in breastfeeding clothes is so lovely to see. I always prefer breastfeeding blouses over dresses. My best discovery for clothes has been the European company My Tummy which have tops that double up for breastfeeding so you don't need to buy two sets of clothes for after pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete